Tuesday 8 March 2011

I'm giving up Twitter for Lent -- Gasp!!

When it came to deciding what to give up for Lent this year there really was only one thing that I would struggle to give up for 40 days and 40 nights.


In years gone by I have given up alcohol, chocolate and crisps but because I don't regularly indulge in these three items (shhh!) I found it too easy to give them up from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday.


So with a Goddaughter to set an example for, I wanted to make sure I gave up something I would struggle to live without on a day-to-day basis and that could only Twitter.


I freely admit to being a Twitaholic and rarely an hour goes by where I am not checking what the world of Twitter has to offer or updating my status so that my 320+ followers can see what I am up to.


I think this is going to be a difficult challenge and it is one I wish I wasn't doing so it is going to be interesting to see how I cope. I have already been told by various people that I'm setting myself up to fail but I've told them I can be pretty determined when I want to be.


I have also decided to appeal to YOU all to help me in my Twitter silence by sponsoring me with the money going towards the Bobby Moore Fund's Project Namibia. You can help keep me focused by visiting www.justgiving.com/davidblackmore4 and sponsoring something as small as £5 or £1 for everyday I stay off Twitter!


Now the rules. As I am sure you know the six Sundays leading up to Holy Saturday don't count in Lent so I can assure you I will be tweeting like mad on those days. I am also going to keep my blog posts feeding into Twitter because it does that automatically and I am not giving up blogging -- just micro-blogging! I have also decided I can Tweet if it is work-related; for example covering a council meeting. I will, however, leave it up to my bosses to dictate when I am allowed to use Twitter for work.


Finally, my only real concern in all of this is how many followers (which I've worked so hard to build up!) I'm going to lose between now and Easter Sunday :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home