Saturday 2 June 2012

VIDEO: Me carrying the 1948 Olympic Torch during tour of West Norfolk

It was just after 9.30am when I was given the 1948 Olympic Torch by Olympian Paul Evans and Ray Harding, chief executive of West Norfolk council, to carry it between North Wootton and Castle Rising today. I carried it with West Norfolk council cabinet member Elizabeth Nockolds and it was a truly amazing experience. We ran one of the longest legs of the 170-mile relay around West Norfolk AND it was all uphill so not as easy as I thought it was going to be when I got up this morning.


Picture by Matthew Usher

When I arrived at the handover point at around 9.15am, there weren't too many people but as Paul and Ray handed over the torch to us, there were plenty of people who had come out to cheer us on. There were also plenty of people who lined the route to see us and take our pictures. After the torch left us, it was carried through Dersingham, Ingoldisthorpe, Snettisham, Heacham, Hunstanton, Sedgeford and Docking before finishing the day in Burnham Market.

Overall it was incredible to take part in this event. It truly was a once-in-a-lifetime event and I feel very privileged that I was asked to take part and to run the second leg. I really felt a sense a pride when the torch was in my hand and I feel like I've taken part in something very special. There is no doubt in my mind that it will bring communities together across West Norfolk in the coming days and I'm looking forward to meeting some of the other 170 torchbearers on Tuesday for a special medal ceremony at Lynnsport after the torch returns.

The below video of me carrying the torch was shot by @DanielVipond. You will need to skip to one minute and 20 seconds after watching the first 25 seconds.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home