Friday 1 June 2012

West Norfolk Olympic torch relay starts tomorrow: Come out & cheer me on!

The official 2012 Olympic torch is currently making its way around the country and I may have missed out on carrying it but tomorrow I'll get my hands on an iconic Olympic torch when I take part in a four-day torch relay across West Norfolk using one of the torches used for the 1948 Olympics - the last to be held in London.


The torch, on loan from Loughborough University, will be carried into more than 80 villages ahead of the London Olympics and will start and finish at Lynnsport in King's Lynn.

Norfolk Olympian Paul Evans, who competed at the 1992 and the 1996 Olympic Games, will start the relay just after 9am tomorrow before handing over to yours truly in North Wootton. I will then run from the All Saints Drive junction with Alban Road to Black Horse Pub in Castle Rising.

Some 170 torchbearers on foot and cycle will then carry the torch over the four-day event. These people, who range in age from 14 to 98, have been nominated by their local communities.

I really think the torch relay will bring a feel-good factor to the area ahead of the Games and I am delighted to be taking part. The Olympics is only six weeks away and there won’t be too many people from here going down to London to watch the action but I think this is bringing the Olympics to West Norfolk and is really kick starting a summer of great sport

To see the Olympic torch trail route click here


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home