Tuesday 1 May 2012

GEAR-ing up for 10km run for @Norfolk_Hospice

It's not quite the London Marathon but on Sunday, I'll be taking part in the Grand East Anglia Run (GEAR) - a 10KM run around the historic town of King's Lynn - to raise money for The Norfolk Hospice. It's an event I've been keen to take part in for a couple of years now but I always seem to put off signing up until it's too late. That didn't happen this year, however, thanks to a little nudge from a certain press officer (she knows who she is!) and before I knew it, I had not only signed up for this year's race but also pledged to raise as much as possible for The Norfolk Hospice.


I got to know about the charity and the wonderful work it does through my role as a reporter at the Eastern Daily Press. The charity helps patients, carers and families living with cancer or other life-limiting illnesses, by providing timely and professional care and much needed support. It currently supports more than 280 people every month at its current hospice in Snettisham but the charity is hoping to move into a new £4m full-service hospice, which will provide 12 in-patient beds. When The Norfolk Hospice moves into its new multi-million pound hospice, in Hillington, near King's Lynn, running costs will rise from £1.4m to £3.4m and with the charity only receiving 11pc of its funding from the NHS, I am hoping I can raise as much as possible


My training for GEAR has seen me join the Ryston Runners for sessions on the running track at Lynnsport and I have also had a couple of practice goes around the 10KM route. So far, I've managed to do it in 50minutes but on the day, I hope to cross the finish line in around 45minutes.

It would be fantastic if you might be able to sponsor me. You can do so by texting GEAR86 £plus your amount to 70070 (i.e. GEAR86 £5 )or by visiting www.justgiving.com/davidblackmoreGEAR It is really quick and easy to donate either way and any sponsorship would be gratefully received.



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home